Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Step Eleven: Dealing with Firsts

I finally realized why I felt more emotional this week.  With all the commercials, specials and reminders of Valentine's Day it isn't any wonder that I would have my first opportunity to miss special occasions.  I know this will happen many times in the next year, but this is the first. 

I'll start with a story many of you already know.  Harold loved giving to others.  From the beginning of our relationship way back in 1971 he was that way.  Our first date was January 31.  We began dating and several days and dates later he was with a friend who was buying flowers for his girlfriend for Valentine's Day. Harold decided he'd better do the same thing if this relationship was going to continue.  He chose red tulips.  Well, I was just a sophomore in college and these were my first "real" flowers.  I loved them, my friends were impressed, and he knew he'd done good!  We still have pictures of a young girl holding those red tulips and grinning like crazy. Harold never forgot that moment and for the next 38 years I received tulips for Valentine's Day. 

They weren't always the same, but they always came.  When I started working he'd always send them early so I could enjoy them (and I think he wanted me to show off what a great husband he was). I never took them for granted because I was proud of that tradition he'd started.  Never once in 38 years did he forget.

So, it's no wonder that this "first" causes me to feel emotional.  I just have to find a good place for the memory and be happy for all the years of flowers.  Many people do nice things for loved ones, but I don't know many who have maintained a tradition that long.  I have been blessed to be on the receiving end and now I'm blessed with very special memories. 
Thanks for listening!
Judy

1 comment:

  1. Harold was a keeper and I guess that's exactly why you kept him!!! Miss you and sure hope to see you Sunday. I'll be saving a seat right beside me! Be safe travelling home. I love ya

    Pam

    ReplyDelete