Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Welcome Back

It's been more than three years since we first started blogging for Harold. At that time he was undergoing a bone marrow transplant for Myelodysplasia. He passed with flying colors and had great success. He was Dr. Parmar's favorite...at least we felt that way!

Now, 3 1/2 years later we have some new issues. Since August 23 Harold has had a series of infections. Each of these put him in the hospital with a high fever, confusion and low blood pressure. For a while they were occurring at nearly two week intervals. Then they spread out to monthly. Harold has experienced a range of infections from pneumonia, to bone infection to UTI. With each new episode he was left with a little more weakness.

In November I brought him back to Lake Jackson with me so I could work and be able to take care of him. After 3 more hospital stays, a few weeks in a skilled nursing facility and a three weeks of in-patient rehab (which he called his Boot Camp) he's now in Houston at Kindred Hospital. This is a great place with some wonderful people taking care of him.

I've had so many people writing, texting and calling wanting to find out about his condition and wanting to let us know they're praying for him that I decided it was time to restart the blog. It worked well through the transplant to keep everyone informed, and it also gave me a great outlet for my thoughts as we went through that experience.

Harold has a team of doctors. He has a renal doctor, internal medicine, infectious disease, pulmonary and they have just added a hemotologist. They seem to be working well together to deal with their specific area of concern while being careful not to cause issues for another area. As always, Harold does not do things normally or simply so he takes a village to keep him going. I'll update daily to let you know how he's doing and what's happening.

Thank you in advance for your concern, your prayers and your friendship. We appreciate everyone so much.
Judy

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! I love that you are doing this again! I ask mom morning and night about Harold, so this way I can find out from the source! I love how you say that Harold does not do things normally or simple! Sounds about like a lot of people in our family! haha! We will be coming down to Houston on February 13th, but I'm hoping he will be better and yall won't still be there! Much love and prayers! George, Rachel and Haley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I decided it was time...and it really does help me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to be able to keep up to date in this way. Our care page meant so much to us while our boys were in the NICU. We will be keeping Harold and the rest of your family in our prayers daily.

    Love to all,
    Matt Moring

    ReplyDelete